I love soup. When I was in Seattle, it was super cold while there were still days over 90°F in winter in LA, where I used to live before moving to Seattle. But, because the temperature goes low, their culinary culture had remarkable differences: soups are so great!
Bisque, potage, clear soup, chowder, minestrone, gumbo…there were so many kinds and each and every one of them had a unique tasty flavor so I could literally have them every single day!
When I moved down South, I imagined it would be hot days in winter like LA, but I was wrong. NoCal is cold! To warm up my freezing body, I have to make it warm from inside, so let’s have a bowl of soup! Usually my soup consists of a variety of veggies, but this time I want to add some grain. I’m on my culinary journey, so let’s add some new grain to me: Quinoa!
Tomato Quinoa Soup
- ¼ onion – chopped
- ½ medium carrot – chopped
- ¼ squash – sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Some crushed chili
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 600ml water
- 1 can of diced tomato
- 2 cubes of veg soup stock
- Some salt and pepper
- Some parsley
- Pour olive oil and sprinkle crushed chili in a pot and bring it to medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, squash and cook for about 5 min.
- Add quinoa, water, tomato, beg soup stock and bring it to boil.
- When it’s boiled, reduce heat to medium low and cook until quinoa is ready: about 20min.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the soup to a bowl and sprinkle parsley. Enjoy!
Mmm, lumpy quinoa is such a fun texture and my usual yet never let me down tomato soup matches quinoa well too!
Keep your body warm, keep hydrated!
<Other Comfort Soup in a Cool Day>
For spicy food lovers! Bean Chili Soup
Classic cream soup! Cream Mushroom Soup
Got leftover bread? Tomato Gratin Soup
Enjoy home cooking and your own creation of homemade food:)