Have you heard of mekabu seaweed?
Well, I knew it’s a part of seaweed with a sticky yet silky texture but wasn’t that familiar. One day I tried them for the first time in Izakaya, Japanese tapas bar and fell in love with how tasty it is. The slimy texture is similar to mozuku, but it is more slimy and has a stronger flavor of ocean.
I found a nice dried mekabu seaweed in an Asian grocery store, so let’s enjoy them when I really miss rare Asian food. I bet a lot of people are not familiar with mekabu seaweed since they are not so easily accessible in the market, so if you happen to get mekabu, try this recipe so you can enjoy them properly:D
Mekabu Seaweed Salad
*May contain Amazon Associate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 tablespoons dried mekabu seaweed *I bought this package for about $3.50 in my neighbor’s Asian market. Now let’s put Mekabu in the search box of amazon. $$$ is just surprising😳
- ½ large tomato – chopped
- ⅓ cucumber – chopped
- 3 perilla – thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon soy sauce
- 2~3 perilla leaves – chopped
- Soak dried mekabu seaweed in cold water and let it sit for about 20 min.
- Drain and rinse mekabu, and combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle some perilla leaves and enjoy!
Mmm, it’s just perfect for a side of sushi dinner!
So while Asian countries enjoy eating seaweed even in a dessert, a lot of them can’t detect which one is which. Mekabu is a part of wakame seaweed but mozuku isn’t even though both have a slimy texture. Wakame and kelp are also totally different seaweed even though they look alike. Hmm, if there were an exam to be a master of seaweed, I bet it’s super difficult!
<Other Seaweed Recipes to Enjoy>
Seaweed, but it’s different seaweed! Wakame Mixed Rice
Seaweed, but it’s roasted and used as wrap! Vegan Sushi Roll
Seaweed, but mozuku! Mozuku with Cucumber, Tomato
Enjoy home cooking and your own creation of homemade food:)