November is National Rice Awareness Month, so let’s cook up some rice: my favorite type of grain!
I love rice since I was a little kid. It keeps my healthy lifestyle whenever eating is concerned. Because I love rice so much, when I was sleeping over at my grandma’s house, she had to cook extra rice for my next day’s breakfast even though she was always the bread-in-the-morning type of person. Sometimes we had bread for school lunch, but I dreamed about rice on those days even though the rice and bread were both sharing the same traits: white and fluffy grain.
As a result, now I’m fully grown up but still my favorite grain is rice. Freshly cooked rice of course please me anytime I open the lid of Instant Pot, and even leftover rice gives me infinite ways to transform them by dressing up with other ingredients.
This time, let’s pair rice up with Korean traditional food: Kimchi! When I used to go to Korean Town with my friends in LA, I loved Kimchi fried rice. By thinking about kimchi fried rice, I feel nostalgic to the fun time of chatting with them by sharing spicy yummy food. Unfortunately my neighbor really doesn’t have any Korean restaurants, so it’s time to make it on my own and indulge myself!
Ready to check the recipe? Let’s cook!
Kimchi Fried Rice With Cheesy Corn Sauce
*May contain Amazon Associate links. By clicking the links, they will take you to the specific Amazon.com product page and you’ll see what ingredients/tools are recommended for making the food of the day. As an Amazon Associate I will receive a very small commission from qualifying purchases.
*For 1 person
Cheesy Corn Sauce
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 bowl of cooked rice (or you can use this type)
- ½ carrot – chopped
- 3~5 stalk of asparagus – chopped
- ½ onion – chopped
- 5 tablespoons kimchi – I used Spicy Korean Kimchi from Wildbrine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- Pour sesame oil in a pan and bring it to high heat. Add carrot, asparagus, onion and cook until the onion is golden brown.
- Add rice, kimchi(without brine) and soy sauce. Toss well.
- Reduce the heat of the fried rice pan, and prepare another pan to make the sauce. Put corn, cheese, and milk together and bring it to medium high heat. Warm it until the cheese is melted.
- Place the kimchi fried rice on the center of the plate and pour cheesy corn sauce. Sprinkle parsley and drop kimchi sriracha. Enjoy while it’s still hot!
- Do make some burnt rice parts! The crunchy yummy part is the most precious part of fried rice.
- If your kimchi has a big chunk, chop them up for easy mixing with other ingredients.
- I chose parsley for garnish this time, but I recommend green onion too for both bright beautiful green color(yummy for your eyes) and refreshing flavor(yummy in your tastebuds!)
I used Spicy Korean Kimchi and Spicy Kimchi Sriracha from Wildbrine. Their kimchi has 3 flavors so far and what’s good about their kimchi is being vegan. Did you know, a lot of traditional kimchi isn’t vegan but contains seafood like squid/shrimp paste or fish sauce but they made it vegan friendly. Kimchi is known as fantastic probiotic food so eat it up by making kimchi fried rice or even straight out from the jar! The kimchi sriracha is also great to boost up the dish flavor. The kimchi sriracha is pretty much made with the same ingredients of their kimchi so I’m calling you if you’re a kimchi lover: time to crave for kimchi!
Thank you so much for the great gift, Wildbrine! I can’t wait to use other flavors of kimchi and sriracha to explore the new dishes!
Do you like kimchi fried rice or what’s your opinion towards rice? Let me know your favorite ways of eating rice. I still need to explore how to enjoy yummy fluffy rice;)
<Other Korean Dishes>
Easy savory pancake! Korean Leek Pancakes
Let’s enjoy your eyes by looking at the cheese pull! Korean Corn Cheese
Korean BBQ’s special side dish! Steamed Egg
Enjoy home cooking and your own creation of homemade food:)